Sunday, October 16, 2011

Blog Post #8

1. This Is How We Dream By: Richard E. Miller

Dr. Miller is a Professor of Rutgers University. In this lecture he is explaining how the literary world is changing with technology. One of the main incremental changes is less use of pens, paper, and books. Fewer and fewer people utilize the library as their main source of information. This makes sense due to the abundance of information that is virtually at our fingertips. It is not only extremely easy to access but it saves time and money. Dr. Miller refers to the ability to post documents on the web as, "Sharing knowledge infinitely". Versus using a library where once a book is checked out it is no longer available for anyone else until it is returned. I wonder what a teacher thirty years ago would have said if he/she had been told about these changes... That soon teachers from all over the world would not only be able to communicate at the touch of a button but they would be able to collaborate and work on projects together virtually face to face.

Dr. Miller acknowledges there are factors such as access and availability that at this point in time make it difficult for us to use technology to its full potential. I like how Dr. Miller states, "That the limits and the restrictions are largely ones that we put on ourselves." But he does for see a day that it will a way of life. We already have information that's updated and available to us 24 hours a day. He refers to technology as being a way to push ideas into our culture. The web gives us the opportunity to share our ideas and opinions with the entire world. The door to success is so much larger than it ever has been. Can you imagine how far we will be when our students are our age? This is putting into perspective just how much we do need to have technology in the classroom. Our students are going to need to know how to use these tools in order to reach ultimate success. Notice how I said, "tools", today's youth is well aware of how to use technology for entertainment, which is a start. We need to be able to show them how to use it to succeed. In the world of technology the sky is the limit.

2. Blog Post # 12 By: Carly Pugh


Carly's playlist is a perfect example of how what Mr. Miller is lecturing about. It proves how much you can learn with the click of a mouse. It also shows how you can use this to teach with little or no paper, pens, books, etc. The idea and the post were amazing.

3.The Chipper Series and EDM 310 For Dummies

These videos are great! I especially love the EDM 310 For Dummies video. It makes me feel like I am not alone. I have gotten frustrated with some of the assignments but I know that they are useful and I am excited for the opportunity to learn. Making videos takes getting used to. I think the hardest part for me is getting used to seeing myself on camera. I am still not comfortable with that I can stand up and talk all day, but I don't particularly like looking at myself. I think this is why I enjoyed the podcast so much. I will most certainly use this in my classroom. I will record lessons and post them for students who are absent or for students to go back and listen for studying.

http://redmountaincommunications.com/about_us.html

4. Learn to Change, Change to Learn

This video is stating the fact that the educational system HAS to accept technology! In order to reach today's students, we have to stop banning the use of technology in school and embrace it. School doesn't have to be boring, it's ok to have fun learning. I think some people are afraid that if students are having fun then they can't be learning. This couldn't be further from the truth. If you enjoy what you are doing, you will want to do it more often. Wouldn't it be awesome if a student was having such a good time researching and working on a visual presentation for Biology that they couldn't wait to get home and finish working on it? Don't be afraid of technology and don't be afraid to have fun learning!!

No comments:

Post a Comment