Sunday, November 27, 2011

Blog Post # 13: Book Report

Book Report on "Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire", by: Rafe Esquith

In the book, "Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire", Esquith is using fire to refer to passion. Teach with passion! He explains how hard it is to stay passionate and keep excitement in the classroom, due to the state education bureaucracy. The dreaded standardized tests. The preparation for these tests have made a lot of teachers put a halt to the creativity that they use in the classroom. In chapter 6, he demonstrates how to help your students improve there scores by making it fun. He teaches his students that, "anything worth doing worth is doing well". They take testing seriously despite the affects it has had on our nations students. His students also do very well on the tests. The study tactic he teaches is to create the same environment that you will be in while taking the test. If you are having a math test, don't just simply read the chapter, work out some questions that are like the ones that will be on the test. Don't stay up all night studying either, being rested will also help improve your test score. He goes on to explain consequences, and test taking skills.

He also teaches more than just the basic subjects. He teaches morals, respect, and believe it or not the joy of learning. Truly going the extra mile for his students, he expects his students to follow rules because it is the right thing to do not just because they are told to do it. It's also not good enough to do the right thing just to avoid punishment, or to impress a teacher. His students are taught the importance of doing the right thing even when nobody is looking. Simply because it is the right thing to do. There are different levels of thinkers, Level I Thinkers: The I don't want to get in trouble thinkers. Level II Thinkers: The I want to a reward thinkers. Level III Thinkers: The I want to please somebody thinkers. Level IV Thinkers: The I follow the rules thinkers. Level V Thinkers: I am considerate of other people thinkers. Level VI Thinkers: I have a personal code of behavior and I follow it. It is Esquith's goal for all of his students to reach level VI, although he knows that it is impossible. It is very rare that you find someone who has gotten to this level. So, if he encourages one student he has made a difference. He knows of students that have used these levels of thinking to succeed. He also knows students that he thought were on the right track and has later learned that they were not. This doesn't mean he has failed that's just the way it is.

Esquith's, "We can do better" mentality is the force behind his madness. He has set an amazing standard for all teachers. In this book he takes the art of teaching to the next level, he stays true to his mottoes, "Be Nice, Work Hard!" and "There Are No Shortcuts". This book is the perfect guide for teachers, students aspiring to be teachers, parents, and anyone else who is concerned with the future of our children. I personally have learned lessons that I will not only use in my classroom but I will also use them with my children. I am very thankful for this book. It has encouraged me to not only be a level VI thinker, but I also have a different outlook on life and my future. I am not surprised at all that this was one of "The New York Times Bestsellers".

inspire

1 comment: