Sunday, September 4, 2011

Blog Assignment #2



1. Did you know?
By:Karl Fisch and Scott McLeod

The facts in this video really made me think. It obviously put into perspective the advances in technology and how fast things really are changing. It is unbelievable that in 2006 there were 2.7 billion Google searches a month and now there are 31 billion. It is also interesting that the top 10 jobs in 2010 didn't exist in 2004. Technology is replacing so many jobs today I can't imagine what jobs will be replaced within the next 10 years.

It not only made me think about the advances in technology. It confirmed to me that as a teacher I need to be technologically literate if not for me then for the benefit of my students. Times are changing and as teachers we need to keep up with times.

2. Mr. Winkle Wakes
By: Matthew Needleman

Mr. Winkle wakes up after being asleep for 100 years. I cannot imagine the surprise or shock rather of seeing the world after 100 years. I think that just seeing a television for the first time would be impressive, computers would blow your mind. The architecture and hospital technology would be unbelievable as well.

I like the way that he was comforted and felt at home when he found a school. Hearing the teacher lecture and seeing the kids sitting in the classroom made him feel safe. That reminds me that as a teacher you leave an impression that will last 100 years. It is up to you whether it is good or bad.

3. Sir Ken Robinson: The Importance of Creativity
By: Ken Robinson

I absolutely love Ken Robinson, I want to find some more of his videos as soon as I finish this assignment! I believe with all of my heart that the way that we are forced to educate these days really puts a choke on creativity. Teachers have so many guidelines on how to teach it's hard for them to be creative. Not to mention the students, they are constantly preparing for the next standardized test. Of course every grade level needs to set and meet certain goals so that the students will be ready for the next appropriate grade. It just seems like the testing is a little over the top these days. We judge a teacher and the school in which she teaches by the students' test scores. So of course each teacher is going to stop at nothing until every child has "memorized" what is going to be on that test! The problem with this is a lot of the time until every child in the class is ready for "the test" everything else gets pushed to the side. Unfortunately, creativity is one of these things put one the back burner.

Children with hyperactivity is another one of my soap box subjects. I know that ADHD exists, but I don't believe that heavily medicating a child is the answer. If they have this disorder then they are going to have it for the rest of their life. They need to learn how to function and learn without medication. I often wonder, is the medication for the benefit of the child or the adults around them? As teachers we should learn how to teach these children not suppress their creativity and turn them into zombies! The story that Dr. Robinson told about the choreographer who couldn't sit still, she was a dancer. She wasn't learning disabled, or a bad child. She just needed to move and that is how she was able to learn. The sad thing is that today in order to reach our "goals" it is nearly impossible to teach without suppressing these children to some extent.

4. Cecelia Gault's interview with Sir Ken Robinson
By: Cecelia Gault

Cecelia Gault's interview with Sir Ken Robinson brings about the same discussion on how important it is to feed creativity. In my classroom I will embrace creativity. I love people who are not afraid to be "different". I will encourage/challenge all of my students to be "different". In other words be themselves, when they come in my room there will be no "normal". They will learn that there is more that one way to skin a cat, and I want them to use the way they think is best. If they try their way and realize that it didn't work so well, then they can try something else. This is life, we can play it safe and all walk in the same direction because that's what everyone is doing. But, my goodness how boring would life be if someone didn't decide to cut through the woods every now and then. This is how we learn!

I agree with Sir Robinson that in order for this to work the education system is going to have to become more balanced between Science and Arts. Arts do not need to be pushed to the bottom of the list. Arts and Technology are just as important as the standard subjects. They all work together. Our children's future depends on this change!

5. Harness Your Students Digital Smarts
By: Vicki Davis

What an awesome way of teaching! Watching the high school students learn through experience and hearing what a success it has been is very encouraging to me. The format of Ms. Davis's classroom reminds me of the format of EDM 310. I have no doubt that this class is going to help me prepare for the technology I will encounter in my career. I wish that I had been given the opportunity in high school to take a class like that.

You can see by the looks on the students faces how much fun they are having. They will remember that experience and use those skills for the rest of their lives. The way that technology is growing, classes like this should become a mandatory part of curriculum.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad that you find Sir Ken Robinson so engaging - I do as well! His thinking is exactly what classrooms in the world need in order to reach their full potential. However, I was a bit confused by your reaction to Mr. Winkle Wakes. Are you sure that him being comforted by old methods was the main point? Think more along the lines of this video being a metaphor for something. Please watch that video again, and re-evaluate your summation of what you think is being said.

    Rebekah Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rebekah I understand your concern... Here's where I stand:

    I understand that the outside world is booming with technology. Therefore, we must bring technology into our classrooms or our students will have a disadvantage in their further educational careers and/or in their workplace.

    But, I also believe that learning from a lecture and taking notes is not all bad. There has to be a healthy balance, or you will develop a technology dependent society. When the calculator breaks they cannot do math, etc. I experienced this already multiple times while supervising, at a local hospital lab. There are times when the computer systems are down, and you have to do things by hand. You must know what it means without the technology or you can find yourself in A LOT of trouble. There is not always time to find another option. How to create that balance and emphasize the importance of both is a challenge that we will definitely face as teachers.

    I do think that waking up after 100 years has past, seeing all of the changes would blow your mind. It is likely that even in a school with technology someone would feel safe and comforted. Because, if a teacher has done his/her job students should look at them as an ally. If everything you have ever known was gone
    this might be your safe haven.

    ReplyDelete